Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Valentine's Day Craft

 Is it just me or are these looong, icy winter days just aching for something fun to cheer them up?  I'm wondering if that's why Valentine's Day is smack dab in the middle of these dreary winter days.  A box of chocolates and some pretty roses sure would make it pass by a bit quicker!  You know what else does?  This fun easy craft!  I'm sure you've all seen this around blogland, it's too cute to miss!  I also LOVE those sweet fabric/paper bunting flags as well.  I thought I'd maybe kill 2 birds with one stone (I don't know why I'm using that phrase, it's one I really don't like and believe me, I'd never kill a bird with a stone or any other thing for that matter!)...where was I?  Oh yes, give the kids something to do AND make decorations for Peyton's party all at the same time!
 To get started, just gather some cupcake wrappers in whatever color/pattern you like and get some mini
ones and JUMBO and some coffee filters too!  Now you will need a needle and some coordinating thread.  Then you just thread them all through making sure you don't pull them too hard or they'll pull through the big knot you have at the end of your thread.  Voila'  you have a pretty little banner/garland!  There are some very COOL cupcake wrappers on the market right now so you'll find something to match any party you are having!  I also learned recently that you should just bake your cupcakes in a plain wrapper and then when they are cooled place that into your decorative wrapper.  It won't hurt anything if you bake in the decorative ones but they don't look nearly as bright and vibrant after you bake in them.

One of the REALLY cool stores I've found while looking for baking goodies is Layer Cake Shop  This little store is so FULL of FUN and RETRO cupcake toppers and other baking goodies that you'll feel like your are transported back to your childhood.  I clearly remember standing in front of the glass case in the bakery and being mesmerized by the sweet little scenes being played out by the plastic figurines on top of the snow white buttercream. Opening the cake box and catching your first glimpse of your birthday cake was pure MAGIC.   I can't wait to put Peyton's delightful little plastic ballerina's on her cupcakes.  I hope I can make a little magic too!

If you'd like to check out some other great sources for party goodies here are some I've found:
Bake It Pretty
The Sugar Diva
Cupcake Wrapture
B.Nute  fabulous vintage style invites

8 comments:

My Cottage Charm said...

LOVE it! :) Peyton is a blessed little girl to have you for her mommy! Can't wait to see the rest! You go girl!
Now you've gone and done it, I'm craving a cupcake! lol
Love ya
Missy

It's me said...

Pink pink pink !! i love pink.....lovely day darling....love Ria.....xxx....

Kate said...

Robyn
That is just too cute!!! What a perfect and fun Valentine craft, great post!!

xo
Kate

Anonymous said...

Awwww how cute!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thats so cute. I think I may decorate for Valentine's this year, it's not common here in Spain, however I do think it's really sweet. xoxo

Val said...

I love everything about this...so girlie, so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

this is so cute! I love it and have locked it in for future use!

come by anytime and visit with me as well...I'll put a pot on!

ciao bella
Creative Carmelina

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, how cute is that?? I was just thinking I need to get some Valentine's decorations going, love it! XX!