Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Let's shop the house and a redneck upholstery fix!!

Have you ever "shopped" your house? You know, when your wallet is full of dust instead of crisp bills but you still have a hankering to make some changes around the homestead. That's when it's time to SHOP YOUR HOUSE! Walk around your home, open cabinets, check the basement and look in your Goodwill pile. Gather some oldies but goodies and do some rearranging of accents in your house.

That's exactly what I did when I decided to purge the cabinet in the kitchen that had just collected stuff over the years that I liked but had no sense of cohesion. Not working has forced me to reevaluate what I NEED. Sometimes one little inexpensive piece can inspire you to make changes in your decor. During my hunt and gather around the house I assembled the "new" goodies on the dining room table. I like the patina of these old silver plate pieces I've inherited through the years so instead of cleaning them (I don't have any silver cleaner anyway or the energy and umph to do it) I'm just going to wipe them with plain cheap dollar store ammonia! It cleans but not too well and the patina remains.

I want to do this glass fronted cabinet
that I showed you yesterday, in whites, silver and clear. After I get these pieces wiped off and I get the kids or
Matt to clean out the cabinet, I'll reorganize the cabinet.  I'm hoping for a cleaner look.  Come back and see!

I also mentioned my couch to you yesterday, so I thought you'd want to see my MAD redneck upholstery skills with Duct tape. This fabric and tape held in the bits and pieces of foam that
Cosmo spewed around the family room.spewed around the family room. Matt also had to cut ply wood to line the bottom of the couch to stiffen it up a bit. It's so squishy now that it's hard to get out of.  Obviously we NEED the new couch! LOL The new one is chocolate brown. I'm so excited!  This old one lasted us 10 years so we have to be happy with it.  Oh and don't be jealous of my duct tape skills...they run in my family! ;-)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: